Friday 28 September 2007

Not starting at the very beginning


Well, I could have started at the beginning like normal people. Or the song from the Sound of Music. It is, after all, a very good place to start. But, no, I'm different. Or just super disorganised. Probably the latter, knowing me. So this is my weight loss blog but it's not the beginning of my journey. That started three and a half weeks ago when I weighed in at 377 pounds. Oh yes, read it and weep. I know I did. In British money, that's 26 stones and 13lb or, for our European cousins 171.36 kilos. Fat, in other words. Really, really fat. Morbidly obese, about to get diabetes kind of fat. Dying of a heart attack kind of fat.

I've tried endless diets - Weight Watchers, Slimming World, South Beach, Atkins (for one day) - and never lost more than 9 or 10 pounds before quitting and piling on even more weight (apart from when I dd WW a few years ago and lost 40lb... then put 100lb back on). So I decided that this time it was going to be different. Mind you, I do that every time. But seriously, I have to do something about my weight before I shuffle off this mortal coil and they have to send me to a special crematorium for lard arses. So I've joined a fabulous website called Weight Loss Resources, which tells you how many calories you need per day to lose a certain amount of weight and has an amazing database of foods with which you fill in a daily food diary. There's a lot more to it which I'm sure I'll talk about later but that's the basics.

So, three and a half weeks in I've lost eight pounds. 8lb. Which is fine. Not super great or anything but fine. I'm set to lose 2lb per week so I'm ahead of target and I haven't weighed myself since Monday (it's Friday) as I'm only weighing once a week. So the 8lb was in three weeks. 4lb, then 1lb, then 3lb. 4% of the way there approximately. Oh yes, how much am I trying to lose? 199lb. I could have made it a round 200lb but, hey, I like the irregularity of it and it would take me to 178lb, 12stone 10lb, or just shy of 81 kilos. In other words, over half my body will have disappeared. If I stick to this and it works that is. And it's going to take me about two years if I can lose an average of 2lb per week.

So I'm here for the long run. Will I still be here in two years at my ideal weight? Only time will tell.

No comments: