Sunday 30 December 2007

TV Heaven

Well, I'm back in the land of the living after a lovely Christmas in Wales. And I can watch the telly again!! Sebs doesn't have a TV and I've missed watching the old gogglebox more than you could believe. I'm so looking forward to the repeat of the Doctor Who Christmas special on New Year's Day as I'm a total Doctor Who addict and quietly sobbed at 6:50pm on Christmas Day knowing I couldn't watch it. But sitting in front of the telly does make me want to eat and there are several boxes of chocolates next to the coffee table (well, old trunk that serves as a coffee table) looking at me and pleading to be devoured. I did have a couple last night and two amaretti biscuits but I'll be glad when Jim eats them all and the temptation has gone.

So, I hear you cry, how much weight did you stack on over Christmas? A massive... nothing!! I somehow managed to stay the same, despite going about 2000 calories over on Christmas Day with a fry up and a massive dinner of goose, roast potatoes, cauliflower cheese, bacon and sausage rolls, sprouts, broccoli, roasted carrots and parsnips and gravy followed by a slab of Christmas pudding with brandy butter. Oh, and four glasses of champagne, six glasses of white wine and three glasses of dessert wine!! But I was as restrained as I could be on the other day and I didn't have any chocolates until I got home, bizarrely. And I've only had one mince pie all holidays. I think I deserve a medal!!

I'm very confused about my scales, though. Well, it might not be my scales, it might just be my strange body. I weighed myself on Friday morning and the scales told me I'd lost 12lb over Christmas which was, frankly, impossible. So I weighed myself yesterday and they said I'd put on 2.5lb overnight, making it a 9.5lb loss. Then I weighed myself this morning - official weigh-in day - and the 9.5lb had jumped on overnight and I was back to the weight I was last Saturday. Bizarre doesn't even begin to cover it. Now it could be the scales but they weigh Jim fairly accurately so I think I just have very fluctuating weight. So I'm going to restrict my weighing to Sunday mornings only and have told Jim to physically restrain me if I try to sneakily hop on during the week. I think it will keep me sane just having one weigh-in as I get so excited at a big loss then so disappointed when it goes back on again.

I'd like to say I'm firmly back on the straight and narrow diet-wise but we're off to Cardiff tomorrow to spend New Year with our friend Gwilym and he's a bit of a booze monster. We're taking lager and champagne and a fab pink grapefruit drink to mix with Gwilym's gin plus several boxes of nibbles, even though he's cooking a salmon. Oh and smoked salmon to have with bagels and scrambled eggs to sort out our New Year's Day hangovers. So I think I'll be lucky to lose anything this week. Ooh, I almost forgot!! I was very smug all day yesterday. I got some new size 28 jeans for Christmas and when I tried them on before buying them they barely fit me. I had to breathe in so much to do up the button and shove in my belly to get the zip up so I was a bit wary when I decided to try them on yesterday. But they fit!! Easily!! I know most people would be horrified at the thought of wearing size 28 jeans but it really is a wonderful thing for me. I can't imagine how I'll feel when I get in a 16 again. And I will. Only 154.5lb to go!!

2 comments:

Shauna said...

alison you legend! talk about surviving xmas in style :) great news on the jeans!

wishing you all the best for 2008 and have a fab time in cardiff.

Pam said...

Well done you! Wish I could claim similar success, but then I don't deserve it, having eaten quite a few slices of Christmas cake over the last couple of weeks.