Sunday 24 February 2008

Hungry like the wolf

I'm starving. I've eaten two reasonable meals today (50g Special K and skimmed milk for brekkie and tomato soup and a roll for lunch) but I could eat a horse. A whole stable full in fact. I'm sure I had horse meat on a school holiday to France when I was 11 and, as far as I remember, it wasn't that bad. A bit like pork. Not as bony as goat - mmm, Jamaican curry goat - and distinctly edible. But then again, anything seems good to me when I'm this famished. I need to go out for a walk to earn some exercise calories so I can have a snack or two but it's spitting so I'm being a wuss and waiting for it to stop.

Actually, I could probably have a snack even without the exercise but I'm becoming a bit of a control freak and almost enjoying the self-discipline it takes to lose weight. I try to wait until I'm falling over with hunger before I let myself eat something - it's quite worrying. But if I eat before I'm really hungry, I'll be hungry again sooner and run out of calories. I'm very rarely full these days although I managed it on Friday night after steak, chips and spinach and two lagers. Made a nice change from the constant emptiness that occupies the space food used to. I swear that when I feel bloated and my tummy's sticking out (even more than normal that is!) it's because of the air inside me, puffing me out like a balloon.

But it's worth it as I've lost 7.5lb this week. If my scales are telling me the truth that is. They said Jim had lost 3lb this week so they might be having a mental. But I've worked hard enough to deserve a good loss. I've done more walking and been Mrs Strict of Strictville when it comes to my food. No cheating at all for the first time in ages. No secret oatmeal and raisin cookies that don't make it into my food diary. No extra 25g of grapes or piece of toast and pate. Everything I've eaten and drank has been dutifully recorded and I came in a couple of hundred calories under for the week. But they were exercise calories and you can get away with only eating half your exercise calories if you've got a lot of weight to lose. Or so the WLR sages have it. I'm trying to eat slightly less than the full 100% to prepare me for losing yet more calories and having to eat them all further down the line. If that makes any sense - not sure it does!

I might be losing weight through not eating if my wisdom tooth keep bothering me. It's bleeding and oozing pus (sorry, TMI!) so I've booked my first dentist appointment for four years on Tuesday. I used to go every six months until we couldn't find an NHS dentist and I refused to go private, especially as my teeth were okay. But I've found an NHS dentist at the end of the road so I was planning to go for a check up anyway; now it's just a bit more urgent. I hope I don't have to have it out but, if I do, I hope they can fit me in before I start work. Not that I know when that will be as they're still checking me out. I hope it's soon as we're getting broke again and I'm bored out of my tiny mind. Bored and hungry is not a good combination when you've a) got a fridge full of food and b) have a number of delis and a Sainsbury's within a few minutes' walk, all filled with bread and cake and ice cream. And that's not counting the temptation of the dreaded Domino's.

I think I need a banana.

1 comment:

Pam said...

You certainly deserve a banana. Well done.