Monday 21 January 2008

Fatness and fitness

I am so unfit. Even more so than I thought. I bought the new Rosemary Conley DVD - the one with Coleen Nolan - and have just attempted to do it. I got my weights out and dug out the exercise mat from behind the bedroom door, ready for my half an hour of fat-burning and half an hour of toning. I managed the warm up and 10 minutes of the aerobics before huffing and puffing my way to the sofa, dabbing the sweat from my lobster-red face!! Not the result I was hoping for. Now I've cooled down a bit I think I could probably have managed another 10 minutes and didn't push myself as far as I could but I was knackered. I'm not giving up though; I'm aiming for the warm up and 20 minutes tomorrow, maybe with a bit of toning or the cool down too.

At least I don't need the extra calories yet. I'm on 1631 a day and it's manageable with no exercise. But it's going to keep coming down so I need to incorporate exercise into my daily routine sooner rather than later. Maybe when I actually need the calories, I'll be able to manage the full DVD. I bloomin' hope so! I want an exercise bike too. Once I get a job I might cough up the money so I have a choice of activities to do. Between walking, cycling and aerobics, I should have the variety to keep me interested and the means to earn a few hundred calories a day. Or I could just join the gym then I can do indoor walking for when it's horrid weather, cycling, swimming AND aerobics. I'll have to get a lot fitter before subjecting myself to a class with other people yet though. I'd die after 10 minutes and be a laughing stock. So, do I spend £114 on a bike or £50 a month at the gym? Hmmm.

I did manage a 45 minute walk today so my exercise attempts haven't all been hopeless. I did get absolutely soaked though and had to put my trousers on the radiator and my socks in the wash when I got home. I even had to dry my hair despite wearing a hood as the rain was horizontal at times. Apparently today is Black Monday or Blue Monday or some other colour of Monday as it's the most depressing day of the year. Dreadful weather, a Christmas overspend, not being paid for January yet, no holidays in sight - I can understand that. But I feel surprisingly chipper. Must be the exercise endorphins. All two of them! I'm going to send my CV to a couple of employment agencies and keep my fingers crossed that I get a job soon. Then I can buy the bike or join the gym. And have my hair cut. My fringe is so long, I resemble Highland cattle. It's not the look I was going for. But it's the one I'm stuck with until the pennies start coming in. I want a job within walking distance ideally, then I get some exercise in walking to and from the office. But not too far on a wintry day. About 20 minutes would be ideal.

I had a bit of a blowout yesterday. Not only did we have a fried brunch - bacon, sausages, eggs and tomatoes - but I was feeling grumpy and hungry due to my headache so I made Jim go and buy me cake. I ate two cream cakes and could have eaten more. Then I opened a bottle of red wine to put some in the pasta sauce and we drank the rest of the bottle then had three beers. No wonder I put on weight this week, with that level of self control. But I'm back on the straight and narrow and trying to make up the 900 calories I went over by yesterday. At the rate I'm going with the DVD, I might claw the calories back by March!

2 comments:

Mrs said...

Hi Alison

What was your verdict on Colleen's DVD? Good? Did it have a little bit about her weight loss? I'd love to know, particularly as she has done LighterLife in the past but now has embraced the way of Rosemary!

Only join a gym if you know you can go...a lot!

Big kiss.

Mrs Lxxxxx

Pam said...

At least you've started the exercise thing. Well done.